A business continuity plan is to identify any risks that can affect the company’s operations. The main two parameters set by the organization management (business owner) are the acceptable downtime (RTO) and data loss (RPO) for the business in case of an emergence
- Recovery Point Objective (RPO)
- RPO refers to acceptable data loss in the event of a failure.
- Asyncrouns replication example, if you want an RPO of 1 hour, you’d take a snapshot every 1 hour. In the event of a restore, you’d be restoring data as of up to 1 hour ago.
- Synchronous replication example, data is replicated continuously, an RPO of 0 is achieved.
- Recovery Time Objective (RTO)
- RTO refers to the period from a failure event till the service is restored.
- For example, if a failure occurs and the time needed to restore service to a running state is 30 minutes, then you’d have an RTO of 30 minutes.
Four approaches for DR on AWS cloud
AWS Disaster recovery is divided into four tactics, from simple and cheap to more sophisticated and costly options.
Solutions Architect – Cloud & Infrastructure